How To Build Excitement For Slow Days
When you’re going to do a promotion for a slow day, the first thing you may think to do is to let everyone know exactly what’s going on. But if you want to peak the promotion, just give a little at a time. A teaser.
This works well with all types of venues. The more upscale the venue, the more upscale the promotion needs to be. Match your promotions with you menu and your clientele. Remember all of our branding posts?!? This too is branding!
- Choose your day
- Choose your promotion. “Fish Fry Tuesday”, etc.
- 3 weeks in advance send a ‘personal’ email announcement. Something like “Save The Date! I’ve come up with a reall cool idea for the 22nd. I know you’ll want to attend, but am still working out the details. I’ll keep you posted”!
- 2 weeks in advance send another personal email but just ‘bait’ it. Not a lot of details. “I told you to save the 22nd for a cool idea. I have a dinner promotion with a local musician scheduled – more details to come!” Keep in mind that you can find incredible local talent on a shoestring budget. If you can’t swallow that – promote “awesome music”, create a mix of music on an iPod or CD that compliments the food – Jamaican Jerk Seafood with Ragae music!
- 5 days in advance give the details. The name of the band, the syle of the music, the hot new recipe with a to-die-for desert. Make their mouths water – after all, they’ve been waiting to see what you’re up to!
- 1-2 days in advance, mention if they printout this email they will receive a special certificate (free appetizer, etc) AND encourage them to pass it on to their friends and family!
Now what you’ve done is…
- Created excitement
- Had them save the date
- Reminded them 3 times without being a pain in the neck
- Encouraged them to come in – a free appy might put them over the edge if they’re undecided
- Created a VIRAL marketing campaign – they will email it to friends who will print it out and bring YOU their email addresses!
KEEP IT FUN
KEEP THE EMAILS ‘PERSONAL’ FROM YOU, FROM THE CHEF, OR EVEN FROM THE HOSTESS
BE CONSISTENT – REMEMBER THE REMINDERS
And – we’d love your success stories! email them to email@example.com